Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

I read less than I would like to, but I do read some. Among the many things I have read was one of those silly emails directed specifically at girls, which invariably make us feign some dust in the eye or something along those lines, in spite of how hard-arsed we pretend to be. This particular one was some advice from a mother to her daughter.

"Yackity-yack-yack. Never lose touch with your girlfriends just because you've met Mr. Right, because you will ALWAYS need them. Dribble, dribble, drat." Forgive me, I've forgotten the start and the end, but the bit inbetween was important to me.

Well, I have some friends. I have some really good friends such as this mother described. I have my 5 school buddies, whom I meet with every 3 to 4 months. We do lead very different lives now, but it's always fascinating how we all get it back together after a long interval. It's like nothing's the same and yet nothing has changed, every time we meet.

Then I have a trio thing with my two leading ladies at the office too and these rendezvousses (what is the plural of rendezvous anyhow?) are more regular, since we simply see each other more often. We snuck out of the office again at just about 18:00 (terrible, innit?) this evening for a bowl of rice or noodle at what is fast becoming our little sanctuary. Hell, we're hipper than anybody around us would ever (need to) know and that's good enough for us. Can't say it is helping my reputation of being a complete diesel dyke, but I've started agreeing with my manager (who has become intent on calling me a lesbian due to the attention I get from my girlses) rather than fighting it. It totally freaks him out, so it's a win-win!

And so we girls befriend many a "sista from another mista" throughout our lifetimes. The ones who really crack you up with every word they utter and yet just get you without you even needing to say a thing. And if it is simply a girl-thing, I really pity you poor blokes. It's bloody marvellous, this sisterhood, so I'm signing up for life myself.

Call me what you like ... I've got my back covered!

No comments: