Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cousin vs. Scuzzin

Felt like a right "eejit" this morning. I called at my cousin's place to see if we could pop in, since I get on really well with his wife. My conversation with her is not worth mentioning here until I ask:

"Hey, what should I bring along!"

"Nothing really." says she.

"Maybe some cola or something?" I offer, just because I am persistently annoying about these things.

"Nah," she says "there's still plenty left from last night."

"Oh, okay. We'll see you soon then!" And we say our goodbyes.

Then I think over her pre-greeting statement while sipping the last of my morning coffee and it finally hits me ... "plenty left from last night" ... we forgot my cousin's birthday bash! In fact, we completely forgot his birthday! As the realisation hit home, I felt the need to rehearse the intro to "4 weddings and a funeral" for a bit!

We had a seriously lazy day yesterday. Late breakfast, short trudge around the mall, spoil the niece in the games arcade and take her out to dinner to what she believes to be a five-star restaurant (Spur) and off to bed soon after. Just a regular weekend, right? I thought so anyhow.

Turns out we completely blow for not pitching at a party we replied to over a week ago! I could blame it on having a lot on my mind what with having to go to JHB for most of the week or even on feeling a little run down with the cold, etc. But the truth is simply that we forgot about the party. My entire family (and, trust me, we fill a banquet hall on our own) was there and none of them thought to check in with me either. They just assumed I was tired after the scuba dive, which might have been a FABULOUS excuse ... if it actually happened!

Anyhows, beg-beg, grovel-grovel. But it seems we were forgiven before we even apologised.

G&M, when you finally get connected to the internet and happen upon my blog: You are really of the nicest people we know. That's why we hang out with you ...

... we're hoping some of it rubs off eventually!

No comments: