Friday, October 10, 2008

Tards and fatsos unite

I hate the old marketing ploy where advertisers use the “Only R999.95” trick. It concerns me to be part of a society where so many people cannot figure out that it’s a thousand smackeroos. You have to love it though! Why? Because for some obscure reason it actually works!

But my latest irritation is not regarding the pricing, but rather about the packaging on certain products. In this Twiggy age (which has been lasting waaaaaay too long for my decidedly reubenesque derrière) it has become a marketing focus to now point out to prospective buyers the fat content of various food products. I’m all for that, actually. I, for one, should be more careful about the amount of excess fat I stick in my gob. So tell me that your product has only 2% fat, that’s great. I feel adequately informed when I buy and consume (several packages of) your product.

For example, whilst in JHB a while back, I wanted to add some milk to my coffee. The carton exclaimed that it was more that 96% fat free. Honestly, what does that mean to the consumer? How can something be 96% fat free? It’s like saying that you’re 96% pregnant. And which 4% in the carton should I avoid if I were on a diet?

And I reiterate: You have to love it though!

Why?

Because there’s an entire sub-culture of my fellow country-folk stealing my oxygen, is why!

No comments: